Colour was absent from the room, there was only varying shades of grey.
The same room, well lit, was bright and colourful with a strong source of primary light, reflective light and shadows everywhere. Colours were clearly seen in every tone and hue.
My first drawing looking at shadow pattern and light formations didn't work well, because I used an item that was too complicated and then couldn't simplify it! So I tried again with an apple and a mushroom, and this worked much better. It was surprising to see where the patterns actually fell with two non reflective items. I also changed to a slightly softer pencil which helped with the tonal values.
I then used fruit and vegetables to demonstrate tonal values and shadows using cross hatching. I understood how tonal patterns give the objects its form and primary sources of light but hadn't really considered the effects and patterns caused by secondary, reflected light before, and it has made me see things differently. It is interesting how the first few exercises have already altered my view of things, and made me start thinking about seeing the world in a different way.
No comments:
Post a Comment