This is my journey, learning to really see and draw the world around me, making new discoveries all the time.

Sunday, 16 August 2009

Learning Log

Welcome to the on-line record of my learning and development whilst I'm following OCA Drawing 1. I'll be recording my progress through each assignment, trying to analyse the creative process and explain my thoughts and ideas: and illustrating the journey photos of the work I have produced on my way through each assignment.

I've been trying to think about why I think we want to draw and create art, before I begin to read the many wonderful reference books! I've come up with one theory for myself.

Making marks and the creation of drawing is the oldest magic of all. Man discovered he could create marks and subsequently, representational forms that others could identify; this eventually led to the creation of the first writing systems. Although writing evolved and allowed us to openly express facts, thoughts, feelings and our imagination, once we discovered that we could create pictures, we did not want to stop. Art did not cease once man began writing. Pictorial representation can show meaning and stimulate the imagination as the written word does, but we often have to use our minds to look deeper to find out what was in the artist's mind, and that is why it is so exciting. There will always be some mystery, even though the picture may have been reviewed a thousand times, and that is such an attractive prospect!

I wonder how this perception will change as I progress, and what others I will develop as I look at more artist's work and read the work of Gombrich and others! I'm looking forward to learning lots of new and exciting things and having my eyes opened to a different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment