This is my journey, learning to really see and draw the world around me, making new discoveries all the time.

Friday, 28 August 2009

Looking at Reflected Light

I chose a shiny ceramic bowl and a blue, faceted glass perfume bottle to do the exercise on reflective light, as I wanted to try another made object which would not normally appeal to me as a subject, but the bottle was probably rather too complicated! Still, it was interesting trying to attempt it. I don't think I captured the reflections as well as I could, as the drawing was on A4 and probably should have been larger. I think I am making things a bit hard for myself, but I did want a challenge!


The second part of this exercise I found really hard as I had to work on A3 in charcoal, and I'm really not comfortable with either the scale or the medium yet! I did a small sketch in pencil before I started to give me confidence, and that worked fine, but when I did it properly it was as if my sense of proportion went out the window, and it seemed to take ages to get the dimensions of the mug right!
Finally I succeeded, but the handle is still not right. I was able to get the areas of light right though. My problem seems not that I can't identify the patterns of light and shade but that I'm really scared of working to a large scale, because I've never done it before and I'm terrified of charcoal, which seems to just run away with me and have a party by itself! I'm going to have to practise, maybe I'll be more comfortable using it with less structured forms.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jules, i really like the charcoal drawing, i think you have captured the light and reflections really well!

    ReplyDelete