I finally disregarded the garlic pot and settled on 3 small jugs, one rustic and highly glazed (like slip wear) a delicate porcelain, and a Mason Cash measuring jug.
These provided a range of surfaces and allowed more interesting use of light and reflection, and although the shapes were similar they were quite distinct. I liked the shape made between the lips of the two larger jugs, which I found exciting, and it gave a formality to the composition, contrasting with the smaller jug, carelessly lying on it's side. I think the composition is fairly solid, but I wished after I hadn't drawn it in my sketchbook, as it would have been better larger! I realised after although I didn't make sketches of all the positions I tried, I spent a long time looking at the subjects and thought a lot about how I would best place them. I used pencil as a thought it would suit the subject matter best.
The still life with natural objects I thought I'd find a lot easier but, again, choosing the objects was hard, I began with a dried poppy head, stone and clove of garlic, but they did not "work" so I revised how I was doing the exercise.
My sketches were too detailed so I kept the garlic, plus a field mushroom and a pepper and did a series of very quick sketches in different placements to show the tonal values and light. I then chose A2 paper! and pencil, because I wanted to see how I would manage using it on such a huge (for me) paper!
I chose the final composition as I wanted to show the intricacy of the gills and how the light reflected on them giving small shadows, even in the direct light from the window. I liked the texture of the mushroom, which was a little bruised and battered, against the smooth, sinuous, almost perfect form of the pepper, and the papery, crisp skin of the garlic clove.
Very nice drawings, I'm glad to see your new blog and hope you are feeling better. Take care!
ReplyDeleteHi Jules,
ReplyDeleteYour drawings are wonderful. I love the pencil textures... Fruit and veg are great objects to draw, they have some lovely shapes to them.
Really lovely to meet you. Thank you for your kind comments and for hopping over from Shell's blog. She is a lovely lady!:)
I will now follow you here... Please feel free to follow me too if you like.
Have a lovely weekend.
Jo May.;)