Beginning the assignment I found my confidence levels were low, despite drawing every day over the past few months.
I was particularly concerned about drawing the made objects, so decided to begin with this.
After much deliberation I chose; a figurine of a girl holding a small dog, which was carved and provided an unusual texture; a chiffon scarf; and a painted straw glass pot. I tried several ways to position the objects but decided I wanted to keep the figure as the central object, and use the soft folds of the scarf against the other hard surfaces.
The first 20 minute study was done in 2B sketching pencil .The composition did not work very well, too much of the scarf was included, and it was much too complex. I was also unhappy with the media I used. I realised I was trying to do a full drawing rather than a study.
For study 2 I used a sepia drawing pencil, which was much more waxy, and covered well. I tried to draw much more quickly and put in blocks of tone, which partly worked -but I could not get the placement right for the pot. It looks isolated from the group and the angle is wrong.
For my third study I decided to throw caution to the wind and chose to use Carre pastels (a medium I would normally shy away from as being too thick and heavy for me). I took time to re-evaluate the position of the items I'd chosen, making the composition much more simple, but keeping the figure as the central point.
I decided to use this study for the main drawing. However, instead of using the pastels I decided to use yet another medium - a combination of 6 and 8B graphite pencils - which are very much softer than I am used to.
For the natural objects I agonised over what to draw, but in the end chose to use vegetables as they were accessible and gave me a range of interesting shapes and textures. I used a large head of broccoli, a red pepper, a field mushroom and a couple of smaller mushrooms.
I used a combination of ink/dip pen and charcoal for the first study. Charcoal is another medium I am uncomfortable using. However, I found this study fun to do, although the composition did not quite work out.
For Study 2 I used coloured drawing pencils and tried a complete different type of composition, working in a linear way. It was an interesting experiment, but did not quite gel. I did like the placement of the smaller mushrooms though!
I used A2 paper in both cases, to try and make myself draw as large as I could - but it was still not large enough! Despite that these are definitely the largest drawings I've ever done, so I'm not unhappy.
A key learning point for me is that once I took a 'risk' with the pastels, the challenge began to reduce and I saw more opportunities than concerns! So by the time I came to the second drawing I felt much more ready to try things I'd usually shy away from. This is a big step for me.
Good to see you back posting here, Jules! I wanted to comment when I first read your post a week or more ago, but I couldn't get to it for some reason. Whenever I came on blog, the post had gone! Well, here it is now and so I can comment!!
ReplyDeleteI too get better results with pastels and find them to work well for shading etc. Actually, I only seem to have good results with them!!
I find that my pencil work is better if I do a pen drawing first as I think you have to really 'commit' to mark making with pen and that then helps when I take up a pencil.
I too would struggle to do anything as big as A2! In fact, filling a sheet of A4 would out-face me. How big were the drawings required to be??
wonderful how you tried so many different mediums to explore and experience. i enjoyed seeing each of your drawings. You might enjoy looking at or joining in with Sunday Sketches. You can find the link on my art blog.... there is a link to Beauty Flows my art blog on my Spirithelpers blog. Hope that was not confusing. The people who join in on Sunday Sketches, are friendly and supportive. Lovely weekend to you.
ReplyDelete