Edmund Burne-Jones - I love the work of the Pre Raphaelites with a passion, I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite artist or painting, but, have always thought this interpretation of "King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid" very striking, and love the imagery.
Samuel Palmer, first seen when I was 9 or 10. I loved the mystic quality to his work, and the sense of "other worldliness" he creates.
Breughel the Elder - transports me to the frozen European wastes. Wonderful detail and vibrancy in this imaginary landscape.
William de Morgan - simply exquisite design and wonderful use of colour. A visit to his home some years ago was a revelation.
Richard Tuft - I found him on a trip to Ikea! I completely fell in love with "St Ives Vista", and the print is hanging on the wall beside me. I love his use of colour and juxtaposition of shapes and tones. This created an interest in naive art, especially early American.
John Duncan - "St Bride" Seeing this in the National Gallery of Scotland blew me away, detail, colour, vibrancy, naturalism, I was stunned.
Edmund Dulac - creator of breathtakingly lovely fantasy and fairy tale art.
Jill Barklem - Talented author and illustrator of the charming "Brambly Hedge" books for children
Beatrix Potter - a heroine for many years, and very underrated in my view. Her botanical studies, particularly her work with fungi, is astonishing, and her stories and poems are joyful.
Brian Froud - Another wonderful fantasy artist, who is able to transport me instantly into his magical world of faerie, goblins and mythical creatures.

Paul Nash - "Wood on the Downs" filled me with awe when I first saw it aged about 9. I had never seen anything quite like it, and again, felt the air of mystery and the wonder of the landscape. I was greatly moved by his WW2 paintings and savage and desolate landscapes.
Local Artist Kathy Lewis "May Hill Triptych" A view of a beloved landscape close to home, which has a wonderful esoteric quality.Looking at my choices I can see similar threads appearing:
- the natural world
- landscape
- the mysterious and other worldly
- mythology and fairy tale
- history
- love of detail
- elements of design
There are some big contrasts, for example, the work of Richard Tuft compared to, say, the paintings of Beatrix Potter, or Paul Nash's abstract works compared to the work of the Pre Raphs ! I think though, that my love of fantasy/the natural world comes through very strongly, together with my passion for detail, and illustration.
Well done! What a great collection!=)
ReplyDeleteWe were meant to be having a class trip to Zhang Daqian's place here in Taipei recently, only one student ruined for the whole class and we had to cancel - grr! Anyway, Sir and I are planning to go independently one day soon as I'd like to see some of his ink work and so on. I like the Chinese concept of 'liu bai' - 'leaving white' in order to set off the subject. I use that sort of thing a bit when I'm working in pastel pencil, esp with coloured papers, letting the colour of the paper serve as part of the design. So, I'm impatient to see his stuff. I'll post photos on one of my blogs anyway!=)
Looking forward to seeing some more of your own work soon. How flexible is/isn't the OCA course timetable? I mean, you've had a lot of delays with your work at home etc, have the College given you extra time? I don't know how they work.
Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteMost of these artists you have chosen inspire me too!:)
Especially Beatrix Potter and Brian Froud. I love so many different artists that I would find it difficult to list them all...
Have you ever seen the book called Fairy Art by Star fire... It is a great picture book of all the different fairy artists in history.
Have a special weekend.
Jo.x
Edmund Burne-Jones and Jessie M. King!I like your style, Julles!
ReplyDeleteHow are you on John Howe and Alan Lee?
Oh DO-O-O-O show your holiday sketches!!
ReplyDeleteBTW, did you do that lovely pencil drawing at the top left of your blog here?=)
Jules, this is a fab selection, i especially love jessie m king (she lived not far from my doorstep). I have enjoyed going back through your blog and been fascinated by the learning curve you have been on. yay ur from D&G, whereabouts? x
ReplyDeleteI must say Jules you are so talented. Love all your sketches. If only I could draw half as well.
ReplyDeleteit makes sense that your tastes would be many faceted, tis the human way. thank you for sharing artists that inspire you, they are quite wonderful!
ReplyDeleteHi Jules,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog - as you can see, I'm stopping by yours too!
Love your eclectic range of influences......it is interesting to me to see what artists from the past inspire other people.
I read some of your previous posts - isn't it sad how many people get put of the arts by some thoughtless (and often baseless or ignorant) comment by someone who ought to know better. Glad you've ignored all that and found your way!